Monday, December 28, 2009

Apparently....

I have a problem with locking myself in and out of places!
Day: Christmas Eve
Time: 11:00 am
After sitting in my office and counting down the minutes on the clock I was able to leave work an hour and a half earlier than anticipated. I was ecstatic!!!!! I ran home in the rain to grab my bags, gifts and Mia to head to Eufaula. I had them all waiting at the door for me... seriously I put Mia's bed by the door so she would be right there too.
Since it was pouring down rain I decided to try to get this all done in as few trips to the car as possible. Somehow I did this in 2 trips- Gosh I'm good.
So, I grabbed my keys and locked the gifts, my purse and Mia inside the car and ran back upstairs just to make sure I had everything. I set my keys down ran around the house, locked the door by the handle and pulled it shut.
Seriously!?! There was no way I just did that.... Oh but I did.
So, I have my dog locked in the car and no cell phone and of course no hide away key.
I start running to the most normal looking houses in the neighborhood knocking on doors in the pouring rain. - NO ONE was home it was Christmas Eve.
So, I start knocking on the not so normal looking doors...
and finally I get an answer
Neighbor "Who dat be?"
Sarah "Hi! It's your neighbor from across the street!" (sweetest voice I could make)
Then you hear all kinds of doors slamming and banging for about 30 seconds and finally the door opens a crack- just enough for some smoke (and it wasn't cigarette) to blow all in my face.
Neighbor "What chew need?"
Sarah "Can I please borrow your phone, I have locked myself out of my house?"
Neighbor "Holds on!"
She then comes out onto the porch and hands me the phone... and I call my step mom for help. So, while Marcia is trying to track down the landlord I decided I would try to break in.
Sarah "Do you have a credit card I can borrow to try to open the door with?"
Neighbor "I ain't got nos credit cards"
Sarah "Do you mind if I try your drivers license?"
Neighbor " Girl, I can't drives. My husbands gots ones but hes in the bafroom."
silence
Neighbor "Holds ons I gots an idear"
She then brings me a metal pointed nail file. So why not. I run back across the street and up to my door where I try to pick the lock through the tiny hole. After a few minutes of that, I decided I was going to knock the door down with my child bearing hips.... yeah, that didn't work either and I gave myself an enormous bruise.
I'm starting to freak out at this point since Mia has no windows rolled down and is still locked in the car. I limp back over to the neighbor's and she hands me what looks like a plastic master room key to a hotel or something. I guess she works there??? But it is the same material as a credit card so I limp back over to my house and try this.
And.... I broke it. OMG!
So, I decide I'm going to kick down the door.
That didn't work either. I hobble back across the street where I am greeted with....
"Yo's mama called calls hers back!"
Yes, thank goodness for Marcia and caller id. The landlord was on her way....
And I think she got there about 5 minutes after she was called. The joys of Montgomery. In Atlanta I would have had to call AAA to get my dog out and a cab to a friends.
I couldn't help but take pictures. Enjoy.
Mine is the door on the left with the Christmas Tree.


Luckily, I have two front doors, so I wasn't completely in the rain.






And these would be the black marks where I tried to kick in the door in heels.



And for those of you who were curious- here are pictures of the side yard.



It connects the grass in between the two houses. So, I jumped over that corner of fence that you can see below.









1 comment: