Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thirft Store Finds

I had this amazing old fireplace mantel that I used as a headboard in college and I loved it! My poor dad came to move me one summer to a new apartment and my headboard never made it. His response, "Oh that big piece of wood- I took it to the dumpster." Of course I went looking for it and it was already gone. I still haven't let him live it down- until this last week. I found one for a great price and brought it home. The best part was as it was loaded in the truck a guy came out of the Flea Market and told me that he could tell by the saw marks on the back of the wood that it is dated pre-Civil War.




Excuse my pillows in those pictures- I shouldn't have taken that without karate chopping the tops.

I also found this great chair!



Of course Mia had to check out all the new furniture.





Yes, I cheated and said her favorite word, Darla- to make her tilt her head.

When I was looking for a headboard, I was also looking for shutters as a headboard. I saw tons of shutters but they were all being used as displays and none of them were for sale. I was also looking for a door. I then found these pictures on all the blogs I stalk. You can stalk them too- there are links on the side of my blog.















I didn't even think about just using a door or shutters as just decoration. This may have to stay on my Thrift Store "Hot List" along with an easel, a bird cage and may others.

3 comments:

  1. the headboard looks fantastic!!!!! you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bird cage for sure!! Sounds just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. those pillows definitely needed a karate chop to complete the look

    ReplyDelete